Answered By: Elizabeth Andrews Last Updated: Aug 25, 2015 Views: 37
Your Shibboleth credentials will expire when you graduate but you will retain access to RefWorks. You will need to set up a new account and move your references. A Group Code is needed before you can set up your new account - email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for the Group Code.
Here is information about how you get your references from your existing account, set up your alumni account and add your references to this new account:
(This information is taken from the RefWorks help pages)
To create a back-up:
- From the Tools menu select Backup & Restore.
- By default, Include References is selected. If you do not want to include your references, deselect this option.
- By default, Include RSS Feeds is selected. If you do not want to include your RSS Feeds, deselect this option.
- By default, Include Attachments is selected. If you do not want to include your file attachments, deselect this option.
- By default, all custom Output Styles are selected to backup. You can deselect any or all custom output styles.
- Click the Perform Backup button.
- Save the file when prompted. If you are not prompted to save the file, click the link that says Click here to save your backup file to download the backup to your computer.
The default file will be saved as a .zip or .rwb file. Please do not change the extension of the file as it is necessary to restore if you need to do so later.
Note: You cannot open the backup file. Should you want a viewable copy of your references, use the Export option.
Now create a new Alumni account:
- When off campus, go to www.refworks.com and click Login
- Click on the Sign up for a new account link
- Then enter the Group Code (please contact email@example.com to get the Group Code) when prompted (You will no longer be able to access RefWorks through the institutional/Shibboleth login. Instead login using the Group Code on the RefWorks login page - details below)
- Fill in the details and then click Register when finished. You will be brought into your new, empty RefWorks account.
Add your previous references in to this new Alumni account:
(Restoring will overwrite all of the references in a database, restore your references to your new alumni account while it is still empty.)
- When you are in your new alumni account, from the Tools menu select Backup & Restore.
- Click Restore to expand the restore options.
- Click the Browse button to find the saved back up file (the previously saved .zip or .rwb file).
- Select Include References, Include Output Styles, Include Attachments and/or Include RSS Feeds as desired.
- Click the Perform Restore button.
Once it is created, login to your new alumni account by going to www.refworks.com and click Login, then enter the University Group Code (contact us for this) and click Go To Login. Then login with the email address you used to create the alumni account and the password you set.
If you have any problems, please get in touch. If you would like to do this with a member of staff, please us know and we can arrange an appointment.